Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Lamson: Day 3-Day 5


   Hello, world of the internet! I finally have some free time to share more of my crazy experiences with you. I would like to apologize in advance, though, for the delayed posts. The internet connection in Vietnam isn't always the best, depending on your location, and it doesn't help that I've practically been in an internet free zone for the past couple of days...so I'm sorry for the wait! 
   I've spent the last few days visiting relatives south of Saigon. At first, it was really strange to see everybody so grown up, especially my cousins, but everything eventually melted into place. Apparently, I'm the grown up one, and as I get older, I start to look less Asian? The theories I get about my ethnicity are questionable, but I can assure you, I'm Vietnamese. I guess it's just a joke that runs in the family. 
   Anyways, my parents grew up in a small town located in the rural regions of Vietnam. Ninety percent of the town is Catholic, and everyone knows everyone else. So when I arrived in town, of course everyone already knew Americans were coming to visit. The day after we were settled in, a banquet was held in memorial of my grandfather's death. We attended mass in the morning, and afterwards, a luncheon was hosted at my grandmother's house. In Vietnamese culture, it is very important to note the third year after one's death. It has more to do with family honor and pride than anything else. 
   The same day this all happened, I came across the amazing opportunity to visit one of the most beautiful Buddhist temples of the area. Located in a nearby town, the temple was serene and very peaceful. Believers could be seen traveling inside the temple to worship the intricate statues of the Buddhist gods. The picture included above was taken outside of the temple, in the nearby garden. A series of steps leading to homes of monasteries, statues, and works of nature circle the mountainside of the temple. 
   This was one of many temples I saw on my journey through the neighboring towns of Lamson. The way villages are set up in the south are definitely very unique to the culture that exists there. Each village is set up to where one religion dominates the entire village, whether it be Catholicism, Buddhism, or any other religion. Neighboring villages could be five meters apart, yet still have entirely different religious beliefs. There is definitely a nice mix of traditions. 
   I am currently staying in Hanoi, the capital city of Vietnam. We took a plane across Vietnam to the northern regions of the country exactly one day ago. So far, I've been able to explore quite a bit, and more pictures and descriptions are bound to come soon, but for right now, I'm heading off to bed as it is getting pretty late here. Feel free to leave any comments, questions, or suggestions. I love reading all the feedback! Good morning Missouri, and good night Vietnam. 


   

No comments:

Post a Comment